Follow the instructions below to download, install and connect the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client on your Mac computer (OS X 10.9 or newer) to the new MSU VPN. Cisco Anyconnect Secure Mobility Client Mac Instructions Download: Cisco Anyconnect Vpn Client Free Download For Mac Os X. Go to https://www3.montana.edu/software. Mac OS Mojave (10.14) is compatible with AnyConnect 4.9.05042 and below For more details about the supported operating systems (Windows, Linux, Mac) of the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client, refer to the article on Cisco AnyConnect. Cisco AnyConnect client features are enabled in AnyConnect profiles. These profiles can contain configuration settings like server list, backup server list, authentication time out, etc., for client VPN functionality, in addition to other optional client modules like Network Access Manager, ISE posture, customer experience feedback, and web. A vulnerability in the uninstaller component of Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client for Mac OS could allow an authenticated, local attacker to corrupt the content of any file in the filesystem. The vulnerability is due to the incorrect handling of directory paths. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability by creating a symbolic link (symlink) to a target file on a specific path.
|This article refers to the Cisco AnyConnect VPN. If you're looking for information on the Prisma Access VPN Beta that uses the GobalConnect app, see: Prisma Access VPN Landing Page. |
If you're not sure which service you're using, see: How do I know if I'm using the Cisco AnyConnect VPN or the Prisma Access VPN?
On this page:
- This guide will assist with the installation of the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client for OS X 10.6 and later
- You need administrator level account access to install this software.
- Note: Some screen shots may be slightly different from what you see depending on the version of your operating system and the VPN software.
- Download the VPN installer from MIT's download page, Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client for MAC (certificates required).
- Find and open the downloaded file.
- The file will mount a disk image. Open this disk image and launch the file named 'anyconnect-macosx-XXXXXX'.
- On the following screen titled Welcome to the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Installer, click Continue.
- When presented with the software license agreement, click Continue then click Agree on the slide-down menu.
- If you are prompted 'Select a Destination...', select your primary hard drive and click Continue.
- On the window titled Standard Install..., click the button labeled Install and enter your computer username and password when prompted and click Install Software.
Note: The user must be an administrator of the machine to install.
Result: The VPN client will begin to install itself.
- When the installation has competed, click the button labeled Close.
Initiating a Connection to VPN and to VPN using Duo
Cisco Anyconnect Mac Client Download
- Cisco AnyConnect can be found in the Cisco folder located in the Applications folder (/Applications/Cisco/).
- Navigate to /Applications/Cisco/ and open 'Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client'.
- To authenticate with Duo, enter vpn.mit.edu/duo and click the button labeled Connect.
- Enter your MIT username and password then click the button labeled OK.
With Duo authentication, you will see a field asking for a Second Password.
In this field you may type in one of the following options:
- push - Duo will send a push notification to your registered cell phone with the Duo Security mobile app installed
- push2 - Duo will send a push notification to your _second registered device with the Duo Security mobile app installed_
- sms - Duo will send an SMS to your registered cell phone
- Phone -Duo will call your registered phone
- Phone2 -Duo will call your second registered phone
- Yubikey - If you are using a Yubikey for authentication, make sure the Second Password field is highlighted and use your key. For instructions on using the Yubikey, please see How do I authenticate with a YubiKey?
- The one time code generated by your hardware token or the Duo Security mobile app (the code changes every 60 seconds)
In this example, I entered 'push' in the Second Password field. I will receive a push notification on my cell phone, go to the Duo app and click Approve.
- When prompted at the MIT's Virtual Private Network (VPN) screen, click the button labeled Accept to connect to MIT's Virtual Private Network.
- Upon successful connection, Cisco AnyConnect will minimize itself and you will see the AnyConnect logo with a small lock in your menu bar just to the left of the time.
Cisco AnyConnect is the recommended VPN client for Mac. The built-in VPN client for Mac is another option but is more likely to suffer from disconnects.
Stanford's VPN allows you to connect to Stanford's network as if you were on campus, making access to restricted services possible. To connect to the VPN from your Mac you need to install the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client.
Two types of VPN are available:
- Default Stanford (split-tunnel). When using Stanford's VPN from home, we generally recommend using the Default Stanford split-tunnel VPN. This routes and encrypts all traffic going to Stanford sites and systems through the Stanford network as if you were on campus. All non-Stanford traffic proceeds to its destination directly.
- Full Traffic (non-split-tunnel). This encrypts all internet traffic from your computer but may inadvertently block you from using resources on your local network, such as a networked printer at home. If you are traveling or using wi-fi in an untrusted location like a coffee shop or hotel, you may wish to encrypt all of your internet traffic through the Full Traffic non-split-tunnel VPN to provide an additional layer of security.
You can select the type of VPN you want to use each time you connect.
Install the VPN client
Anyconnect Client Mac Os Download
- Download the Cisco AnyConnect installer for Mac.
- Double-click the InstallAnyConnect.pkg file to start the Cisco AnyConnect Installer wizard.
- When the Welcome window displays, click Continue.
- Select your hard drive as the destination where you want to install Cisco AnyConnect and then click Continue.
- Click Install to perform a standard installation of the software.
- At the prompt, enter your administrator account password for the Mac and click Install Software.
- When the software has finished installing, click Close.
Connect to the Stanford VPN
- To launch the VPN client, open your Applications folder and navigate to Cisco > Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.app.
- When prompted for a VPN, enter su-vpn.stanford.edu and then click Connect.
- Enter the following information and then click OK:
- Group: select Default Stanford split- tunnel (non-Stanford traffic flows normally on an unencrypted internet connection) or Full Traffic non-split-tunnel (all internet traffic flows through the VPN connection)
- Username: your SUNet ID
- Password: your SUNet ID password
- Next, the prompt for two-step authentication displays.
- Enter a passcode or enter the number that corresponds to another option(in this example, enter 1 to authenticate using Duo Push on an iPad). You may have to scroll down the list to see all of your options. Then click Continue.
- If your only registered authentication method is printed list, hardware token, or Google Authenticator, the menu does not display. Enter a passcode in the Answer field and click Continue.
- Click Accept to connect to the Stanford Public VPN service.
- Once the VPN connection is established, the Cisco AnyConnect icon with a small lock appears in the dock.
Disconnect from the Stanford VPN
- Click the Cisco AnyConnect icon with a small lock.
- At the prompt, click Disconnect.